In Basics II (Rudiments 4,5,6) each meeting starts with lighting the fire and adding another link to the chain. Then we get on about the rest of the class.
We will cover:
- basics of identifying and learning to heat-treat unknown steel.
- making an eye-punch/maker's mark
- the Square-Octagonal-Round exercise/demonstration-of-skill
- making a welded twisted-basket-motif s-hook
- Lap-welding and Cleft-welding and the heat control that goes with
- Scrolling-in-air, making a juggling ball
- Working to a drawing
- Working as Master and Striker, with and without set tools
- Making a small hammer head and how to put a handle on it
- Threading the needle
- Collar welding and if there's time threading a bolt on the hardy
- Working with Wrought Iron, the joys and the pitfalls
and whatever might fit in or answer a question as time permits.
Gift Certificates for Basics of Blacksmithing II are available.
This class is 12 sessions long. Each session is 3 hours. dates×
Instructor: Carl West
(see the Rudiments series of classes)
Class size is limited to 4 students (one per forge).
Please wear proper clothing for visiting or working in the forge:
closed toe shoes (preferably leather, preferably high-topped. Sneakers are sufficient, sandals, crocs, pumps, mules... are not), natural fiber clothing, long pants that cover the tops of the shoes.
Click here for more safety information.
This class is either: If you're interested in taking Basics of Blacksmithing II and it's not on the calendar, please tell us using our Notification-List Page. back to top
Dates and Times:
If none of the dates below work for you (or are already full), we suggest you
Add yourself to the Notification List for this class.
(The notification list gets emailed soon after classes are put on the schedule.)
- not upcoming on our schedule,
- or we've fallen behind in our clerical duties and not entered it in the database.
If you found it on our calendar page, we are planning to offer it on that date.
This class is either:
If you're interested in taking Basics of Blacksmithing II and it's not on the calendar, please tell us using our Notification-List Page.
back to top
Basics of Blacksmithing II